I did the research into iPad vs. Laptop as you requested.
Here are the functional requirements I believe are necessary after interviewing all parties involved (IT, Finance & Sales).
· Set a plan—Calendar use
· Battery Life-Need long life and ability to access power plug
· Quick Access to presentations
· Security (access files behind the firewall)
· Call doctors—make appointments on the fly
· Access to MS docs-View & Edit
· Create notes—quick access to jot down notes
· Portability-light and easily moved
· Price—with 2,500 users, price needs to be comparable if not cheaper then laptops
With all of the requirements met it seems like a wise move to continue with the iPad transition project.
We will save money on the hardware and software will creating a more agile sales team who can be more efficient.
Total cost for a maintenanced laptop is $1,200 (according to IT manager) while a 32GB 4G LTE iPad with needed applications will cost $750.